The World Scout Bureau is the Secretariat of the World Organization. The Bureau is directed by the Secretary General of WOSM, who is the Chief Executive Officer of the World Organization. The Secretary General is appointed by the World Scout Committee.
The World Scout Bureau consists of a Central Office and six Regional Offices.The Central Office is located in Geneva, Switzerland. Regional offices are located as follows, with the principal office being listed first:
As the secretariat of the World Organization, the World Scout Bureau has a number of constitutionally defined functions:
- It assists the World and Regional Scout Conferences, and the World and Regional Committees and their subsidiary bodies in the fulfilment of their functions. This includes the preparation of meetings and the provision of the necessary services to implement the decisions of the various bodies.
- It provides services for the promotion of Scouting throughout the world.
- It maintains relations with National Scout Organizations (NSOs) and helps them develop Scouting in their country.
- It promotes the development of Scouting in countries where it does not exist.
- It supports the organisation of international and regional Scout events such as World and Regional Jamborees.
- It maintains relations with international organisations whose activities are concerned with youth matters.
The World Scout Bureau's operations are financed partly from the annual registration fees paid by National Scout Organizations, based on their membership. Other support comes from foundations, corporations, development agencies, and individuals. Support also comes from the World Scout Foundation.
The Secretary General is appointed by the World Scout Committee of which he/she is an ex-officio member. He/she is the Chief Executive Officer of WOSM and directs its Secretariat, the World Scout Bureau. The role of the Secretary General is to promote and safeguard the interests of the Movement.
Scott Teare was selected as the Secretary General of WOSM in September 2012 and began his new assignment on January 1, 2013. A career-professional from the Boy Scouts of America, Scott came to his position as the Secretary General of WOSM with a vast knowledge and understanding of the Scout Movement.
For the latest news and updates from Scott Teare, click here.