20 dignitaries in Geneva become Scouts for one day!
19. Sep 2012
The Association du Scoutisme Genevois (The Scout Association of Geneva) or 'Scouts de Genève' is celebrating its Centenary. To mark this occasion, early this morning scarves were hung around the necks of 20 statues standing in the city of Geneva. Moreover, in order to commemorate this Anniversary, an official celebration will be held later today at the headquarters of the Scouts de Genève, which will be attended by cantonal and municipal authorities, as well as many dignitaries from Geneva who are former Scouts and representatives from the World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM).
After holding a torchlight procession in the City of Geneva in January of this year, and livening up with activities and displays at the biggest shopping centre in Geneva in June, the Geneva Scouts are today celebrating their 100th anniversary through an original concept: the famous statues of Rousseau, Calvin and 18 other Geneva dignitaries spread all over the town have been dressed early this morning wearing Scout scarves bearing the colours of the various Scout groups within the Canton of Geneva.
In addition to this symbolic gesture, the Scout flags of World and Cantonal Scouting have been hoisted over the Mont-Blanc Bridge, the biggest and most famous bridge in Geneva, from Monday 17th September until the end of the week.
Scouting in Geneva was started on 19 September 1912 on the initiative of Louis Blondel, who founded the Association Genevoise des Eclaireurs only 5 years after the creation of the Scout Movement in England by Lord Baden-Powell. Four years later, in 1916, the Association des Eclaireuses was founded for girls. In 1989, both associations merged and gave birth to the current Association du Scoutisme Genevois. With its 1,150 members, Scouting is today the largest youth Movement in the Canton of Geneva contributing to a similar leading position at national level where the total membership totals 42,000.