The Scout.org website uses "cookies", both internal and from third parties. Cookies are small text files placed on your end user device and help us to distinguish you from other users, to enhance your experience on scout.org. If you continue, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies on our website. You can change your browser's cookie settings at any time. To find out more about how we use cookies and how to manage your browser settings read our Cookies Policy.

Library Item

Interamerican Region Interamerican Scout Committee Second Ordinary Meeting 2011

  • 1st Apr 2011

World Organization of Scout Movement- Interamerican Region
Interamerican Scout Committee
Second Ordinary Meeting 2011
City of Knowledge, City of Panama, Panama
April 2 and 3, 2011

MINUTES

1 .- It was reviewed the contents of the agenda proposed by the Steering Committee , the agenda was approved.

Fernando Brodeschi proposed to delete in point 3 the paragraph respect to rent a smaller place outside the City of Knowledge. Leonardo Morales seconded the proposal. Michael Bradshaw said that this paragraph has concerned the Secretary General and therefore he agreed to the proposal to delete. It was approved to delete this paragraph from the minutes.
Fernando Brodeschi commented on point 22. The minutes state that the Inter-American coffee break, offered in one of the breaks of the World Scout Conference, was not good. He indicated that this wording gives the impression that was not paid because it was not good. Diego Ospina said that this wording should be replaced by "was not well coordinated ". The change in the minutes to the text "was not well coordinated" is approved.

It was approved that three days after the end of the meeting of ICS, the approved minutes will be sent as amended, as well as a action plan, including timelines and responsible, also it is approved that a month after the meeting, the respective minutes of the meeting will be sent.

It was approved that Leonardo Morales and Raul Sanchez Vaca will agree on the platform to be used by the ICS for communication on the Internet. The deadline for submitting this to the members of the ICS is fifteen days after this meeting.

Regarding to point 20, Beatrice Aguilar requested to amend the text to "Leonardo Morales talked of the opportunity to organize a Regional Youth Forum, prior to the Regional Conference, after consultation with the Youth Network ..." was approved this amendment.

Diego Ospina requested to amend the text in point 11 of the minutes. The amendment text approved was: "There should be specific time in the agenda of the next meeting in Panama for the working groups as these meetings are very helpful and therefore must be made ​​formally. "

The minutes were approved subject to the amendments indicated.

It was approved that the Regional Director prepares a file containing the emails that support the work of interns paid by Boy Scouts of America for the Regional Office, including copies of bank transfers made ​​from BSA. Regional Director is requested to review with legal counsel on which protections should be taken in this regard and discuss with Scott Teare on the employment situation of both.

It was approved that Fernando Brodeschi, Michael Bradshaw and Humphrey Shurman will prepare a document to make contact with the National Scout Organizations that each member of ICS is assigned, this document will be sent within three weeks after completing this meeting.

The Regional Director presented the text of regional plan, including contributions done ​after the Regional Meeting held at the World Scout Conference in Brazil.

Taking into account the proposal made ​​by the Youth Network was approved to include the following text "Increase 100% the number of National Scout Organizations which have a formal policy platform of youth involvement and participation within their national structures".

It was approved that the actual structure of networks continues operating in the Interamerican Scout Region.

It was approved to maintain the current regional networks: Youth Programme, Adult Resources, Institutional Development and Youth, and to create the new networks: Environment and Sustainable Development and Communications.

It was approved that a volunteer, an executive officer and a committee member will compose the coordinator core of each network. The role of a member of ICS will be as a consultant.
It was approved to develop the new terms of reference for the networks with professional staff, volunteer coordinators and committee members assigned. The deadline is 3 months to get it ready.

It was approved for the Youth Programme Network Luiz Cesar Horn, as volunteer member in the coordinator core.
It was approved for the Environment and Sustainable Development Network Leonardo Morales as a member of ICS in the coordination core.
It was approved the change of name from Human Resources Network to Adult Network.
It was approved for the Youth Network Fernando Brodeschi as a member of ICS in the coordinator core.
Humphrey Shurman was approved as a member of ICS in the coordination core of the Institutional Development Network.
Zaida Joaquin was approved as a volunteer in the coordinator core of the Communications Network.

Lorena Gudiño was approved as a volunteer member in the coordination core of the Environment and Sustainable Development Network.
Rafe Lucado was approved as a member of ICS in the coordination core of Adults network.
Steve Kent was approved as a member of ICS in the coordination core of the Communications Network.

Fernando Brodeschi proposed the change of the Working Groups to the subcommittees. His proposal was approved.
It was approved the establishment of the Finance Working Group, headed by Kent Clayburn, supported by Steve Kent and Diego Ospina.
It was approved the establishment of the Governance Working Group, which will be coordinated by Ricardo Stuber, advised by Humphrey Shurman and Oswaldo Navas, integrating also Felipe de Paulo, Nadia Morrone, Francisco Leal and Rafe Lucado.

It was approved a period of three months to have the terms of reference of the Working Groups.
It was approved that the Governance Working Group present am action plan 45 days after having the terms of reference.
It was approved the dates for the Inter-American Scout Summit in Panama will be from 24 to 26 February 2012.
It was approved that the regional events always use the name “Interamerican”.

It was approved the establishment of the Inter-American Scout Camporee, a scout branch event, which will be held always in conjunction with the Inter-American Scout Jamboree, but with separate programs, including moments of interaction.
It was approved the completion of the first Inter-American Scout Camporee in Colombia who will host the 14 º. Inter-American Scout Jamboree.
It was approved the completion of the IV Youth Forum in Mexico in 2012. Prior the Interamerican Scout Conference that will be held in Argentina in 2013, will be a meeting of the Youth Network, starting on Saturday before the beginning of the Conference.

It was approved that the 7.5% paid by the NSOs hosting a regional events to the Regional Office will operate only for the following regional events: Camporee, Jamboree, Moot, Conference and Summit.

Were approved the following dates for the next meetings of the ICS:
October 15 and 16 in Trinidad and Tobago
February 24, 2012, before the Summit in Panama
June 16 and 17, 2012, Canada
October 20 and 21, 2012, Lima, Peru.
March 2013, Paramaribo, Suriname.

It was approved that the Steering Committee will insist to the Secretary-General about the finishing of working relationship with Loreto Gonzalez in May 2011.
In was approved that the Steering Committee will discuss with the General Secretary to clearly define the movement and migration policy for the new staff.
It was approved that the Steering Committee discuss with the Secretary General on the issue of social security for the Regional Director.
It was approved that Rafe Lucado will support the Regional Director to hold a meeting with staff from City of Knowledge to resolve the legal issues of hiring staff.

It was approved that the members of the ICS cast their opinions regarding the job descriptions presented by the Regional Director. The deadline for comments is on Sunday 10 April.

It was approved in June is set contest for the position of the Sub- regional executive for South-1, which comprises the National Scout Organizations of Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, Peru and Bolivia.

It was approved that the Steering Committee will make decisions regarding possible changes to the current budget.
It was approved that the Executive Committee in collaboration with the Finance Working Group will develop the 2011-2012 budget, it will be circulated among all members of the Interamerican Scout Committee, then will be sent to the World Scout Bureau, Central Office when it be required.

It was approved that the Regional Director issued a circular informing the dates of the Scout Summit in Panama. Will be sent no later than one week.