Message from the UN Major Group of Children and Youth:
Owing to the fact that young people from Small Island Developing States (SIDS) are currently under represented within international sustainable development negotiations, a SIDS Task Force has been set up within the MGCY to mobilize and facilitate the voice/representation of young people from SIDS. In this context, we are launching a call for applications to become a SIDS Youth Focal Point.
We're looking for 8 young people from SIDS to volunteer for the following roles:
- 1 Global SIDS Focal Point
- 1 Deputy Global SIDS Focal Point
- Regional SIDS Focal Points - 2 per SIDS region namely the AIMS, Caribbean and the Pacific regions
The SIDS Youth Focal Points will have the following responsibilities:
1. Outreach to other young people from SIDS to involve them in the work of MGCY and to ensure a maximum number of young people are able to input/participate in the Post-2015 Development Agenda, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) discussion and the Third UN Conference on SIDS (SIDS 2014) happening in Samoa next year.
(a) regular online meetings and discussions with young people from SIDS to gather views and inputs on youth issues, including what young people from their region want changed, how these changes can me made, and how young people can be actively involved in SIDS and Sustainable Development.
(b) inputs and policy recommendations from young people from SIDS to input and advocate for within all Sustainable Development and SIDS 2014 processes and negotiations.
3. Learn more about how the UN Sustainable Development and SIDS 2014 processes work.
4. Share opportunities with young people from SIDS to be involved in the UN Sustainable Development and SIDS 2014 processes, including sharing your own experience and knowledge.
5. Build capacity of young people from SIDS for youth advocacy and participation in the UN Sustainable Development and SIDS 2014 processes.
- 30 years of age or under,
- citizen of a SIDS (or from the SIDS diaspora), and
- passionate about sustainable development, inclusion and transparency, and getting other young people involved in expressing the voices of children and youth,
The application deadline is 30 December 2013, midnight EST.
For more information on application, please send me an email.