The International Link of Orthodox Scouts
The International Link of Orthodox Scouts (DESMOS) was born in June 1997, at the holy site of the Penteli Monastery in Athens, Greece. Its founding expressed our a sincere desire to contribute to the spiritual development of Orthodox Christian Scouts, by helping then to sense the importance of Duty to God and to understand the essentials of B-P's original spiritual vision.
The vision of DESMOS is to become itself a basis of mutual understanding for all Scout Associations that include Orthodox Scouts.
DEMSOS strongly encourages interreligious dialogue and contact. “Tolerance, Understanding and Cooperation.”
The objective of the link is to:
- Develop and promote the spirit of brotherhood and understanding among Scouts of the Orthodox Christian Faith.
- Promote warm relations and co-operation between Scouting and the official Orthodox Churches.
- Develop an educational curriculum that should enhance the spiritual dimension in the personalities of young Orthodox Scouts in accordance with the purposes, principles and method of the Scout Movement.
- Introduce Scouting in such states and areas where the Orthodox Church is established.
- Coordinate the activities of DESMOS with non Scout organisations having the same objectives.
- Motivate co-operation among DESMOS members.
- Motivate and promote Scouting to Orthodox boys and girls on a global basis. (Conference Rpt. Tunisia)
DESMOS enjoys Consultative Status with the World Scout Committee.