UN-Department of Economic and Social Affairs
The Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations Secretariat (UN-DESA) coordinates global policies in the economic, social and environmental spheres and the corresponding national action.
The Department works in three main interlinked areas:
- it compiles, generates and analyses a wide range of economic, social and environmental data and information on which States Members of the United Nations draw to review common problems and to take stock of policy options;
- it facilitates the negotiations of Member States in many intergovernmental bodies on joint courses of action to address ongoing or emerging global challenges;
- and it advises interested Governments on the ways and means of translating policy frameworks developed in United Nations conferences and summits into programmes at the country level and, through technical assistance, helps build national capacities.
Divisions and offices of UN-DESA:
- Office of the Under-Secretary-General
- Development Policy and Analysis Division
- Financing for Development Office
- Office of ECOSOC Support and Coordination
- Office of the Special Adviser on Gender Issues and the Advancement of Women
- Division for the Advancement of Women
- Division for Sustainable Development
- Secretariat of the United Nations Forum on Forests
- Division for Social Policy and Development
- Division for Public Administration and Development Management
- Statistics Division
- Population Division
UN Programme on Youth
The United Nations Programme on Youth is the focal point on youth within the United Nations. It aims to build an awareness of the global situation of young people, as well as promote their rights and aspirations. The UN Programme on Youth also works towards greater participation of young people in decision-making as a means of achieving peace and development.
The UN Programme on Youth has further contributed to the dialogue on youth directed policy and action by producing the the World Youth Reports in 2003 and 2005.
The UN Programme on Youth is part of the Social Integration Branch, which falls within the Division for Social Policy and Development of the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA).